Wednesday 10 August 2011


Victoria in London

To the best of my knowledge, I heard of riots in London yesterday. It seems 16000 extra Police were sent in to quell the situation. Reports of looting, break-ins, assaults and general bedlam arose from the TV giving me the impression, the situation had basically gotten out of control very quickly. I am uncertain as to what could have been done to prevent such an event. My understanding is that these areas had risen to boiling point over a period of years, stemming from things like, criminal gangs, poverty, vice etc. The original cause of these riots appears to be down to a criminal that was shot by officers defending themself. In lay terms, the criminal pulled a weapon on the officers, and they duly took him out. After this happened, gangs took control of the neighbourhood, causing extensive damage to property & businesses operating in that area. I am concerned for any genuine residents that may have been caught up in it all and sincerely hope any casualties were kept to a minimum. I will be silently in prayer about it all over the next week or two as the world can see what is going on, due to the extensive media covereage on terrestrial television. This is not going to fare well for anyone who had booked tickets to the Olympic games that were pencilled in down the line. My guess is, there will be a lot of people expecting a refund. A great deal of planning and negotiation went into securing London as the official home of the next Olympic games and it just doesn't look like it's going to work out at all. I hope this all settles down, and quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment